Indian Tremendous League champions ATK Mohun Bagan will probably be often known as Mohun Bagan Tremendous Giants from the following season, Sanjiv Goenka, chairman of the RPSG Group, introduced on Saturday.
The RPSG Group owns a majority share within the membership. Goenka made the announcement moments after his staff had crushed Bengaluru FC on penalties to win the ISL 2022-23 crown.
“It is a quite simple however substantive announcement. That’s from the following season, the membership will probably be often known as Mohun Bagan Tremendous Giants. We’re eradicating ATK. Effectively, it was one thing that was on the playing cards. I used to be ready for the win to announce it,” Goenka mentioned.
The membership was initially known as Atletico de Kolkata, and thereafter ATK, from 2014-2020. They had been essentially the most profitable membership in ISL at that time with three titles. In 2020, Mohun Bagan, which was within the I-League, entered right into a merger with ATK.
The RPSG Group, which owned and ran ATK FC, acquired majority shares in Mohun Bagan Soccer Membership (India) Non-public Restricted. The merged membership got here into existence on June 1, 2020, with RPSG Group owing 80 per cent, whereas Mohun Bagan Soccer Membership (India) Non-public Restricted owned the remaining 20 per cent.
ATK Mohun Bagan completed runners-up within the ISL 2020-21 season after which represented India on the continental stage: on the AFC Cup Group stage. They misplaced within the semifinal of the inter-zone playoff.
Of their second season, they completed third on the finish of the League stage and misplaced to eventual champions, Hyderabad FC, within the semifinal. They as soon as once more certified for the AFC Group Group stage and topped their pool, however but once more misplaced within the semifinal of the inter-zone playoffs.
Coached by Juan Ferrando this season, the membership received their first main silverware because the merger as they clinched the ISL 2022-23 title.